Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Competition Begins

First day of the competition in Valle. There are about 25 pilots competing, including Brett Hazlett and Dustin Martin. I'm flying in class B (shorter/easier tasks) so I'm not competing with these guys, but a few of our turn points are the same so I have a chance to fly with these experienced pilots for short periods of time, which is fun.
I was the last one off the hill today but managed to get high in the start circle just in time to follow the lead gaggle to the first waypoint. Our paths diverged there as I headed off on a different route for class B. I hooked up with Dustin and Brett at Cerra Gordo. We all were low but they managed to hang on until a cycle came through while I sank out and had to land. I was bummed, but soon felt better when Russ and two other Mexican pilots landed near me half an hour later. A short wait for retrieve and then it was back to Valle for cervezas and sunset.

(photo by Russ Gelfan)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home