Monday, September 17, 2007

Pocket Cameras

If you're looking for a small digital camera to do some in-flight photos with you might be a little frustrated like me by the current offerings out there. My two basic requirements, a wide angle lens and a remote, seem to be rather rare specs to find in one camera unfortunately. I was hoping that the new Canon G9 lens would get bumped towards the wide end of the spectrum but alas it didn't and Canon is still not including a remote option in their newer cameras. So it seems that the Canon S60 and S70, which were released a couple of years ago and now discontinued, still have the best compromise between picture quality and portability while having a relatively wide field of view and a remote. The S60 has been a great hang gliding companion for me over the last couple of years. I've taken most to the in-flight photos on this site with it. It's getting a bit long in the tooth technology wise I guess, but it's still working flawlessly and unless I give up on the remote option requirement or go to using my DSLR equipment (better call my insurance provider), I'll probably be hanging on to it a bit longer.

Got a camera you like to take hang gliding? Let us know, leave a comment.

Chris Culler with Mt Rainer - Canon S60

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Lanning said...

I fly with a Canon PowerShot SD1000 attached to a auto-retract line inside a harness pocket. I get the camera out, shoot, and stuff it back in the pocket. It avoids the complex setup, but also means I can't take any self-portrait shots.

I can take reasonable shots of other gliders flying close by and of course the "aerial" shots of the ground.

I realize the kind of pictures I get are not the same caliber as yours but I can easily fly with my camera on every flight, even when flying in racing competitions. I just wish there was a point-and-shoot camera that could produces pictures using RAW output.

4:15 AM  
Blogger Local Search Alchemy said...

I fly with canon s60, canon 40d ( a bit heavy with 24-105 L IS lens I ahve even flown paraglider with canon 40d and 70-200 F4L IS. I am looking at trying a newer panasonic casio or samsung some of whcih have 24 mm or 28 mm wide lens and take hd video. its a shame lots of newer small cameras dont come with remotes. my paragliding pics are at http://paraglide.smugmug.com. I did get some good hanggliding pics at Black Mt flyin that I have not poseted yet.. I have caught some wild paragliding collapses and reserve tosses with 24-105 zoom. I also sometimes fly with 40d with 50 mm 1.8. i also have canon Powershot 3is with swivel screen with seperate video button that takes great video upgrade to raw but I dont like electronic viewfinder . I would love a Canon g9 like camera with wide angle IS, raw format, swivel screen and HD video with seperate video button.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home